March 2015

beach revue small

The thing is, I still think of myself as a Havens mom. Havens is where I had my first kindergarten drop-off, my first unforgettable lice incident, my first two encounters with Ivy Chen’s ‘sexy tingly feelings’. Both our girls had phenomenal runs there, and Charlie did, too, until we moved down to Baja when he was in third grade. (more…)

Skunk

Walking my dog last week, I noticed a box on the edge of the Oakland Avenue Bridge over Beach field. It was an old Amazon box, clearly labeled in sharpie: DEAD SKUNK INSIDE. I’m not going to lie. My first thought was how much fun I would have had with that box as a teenager. But I observed it sitting there quietly for days, which led me to conclude that no one snatched it up for a prank. (more…)

woman-tearing-hair-out

If you’re out to get my peer group’s attention, one effective technique would be to write a book entitled: “Moody Bitches: The Truth About the Drugs You’re Taking, the Sleep You’re Missing, the Sex You’re Not Having, and What’s Really Making You Crazy.” While it might appear to the uninitiated that our primary interests are yoga and Common Core math forums, in truth what 40- and 50-something moms talk about when we’re alone is the monumental injustice that women must suffer both the ravages of childbirth and this.  (more…)

gold and white dress

Rumor has it that there are still people who believe nothing good comes from the internet, and in particular nothing good comes from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or the rest of the social media universe.  Those people are in the 3% of the country that missed last week’s brain-bending mystery of the decade.  The other 97%, of course, know exactly what I’m talking about.  I’m talking about that infernal dress. (more…)

By Jody Brettkelly

When Chad Olcott introduced his wife, Laura Pochop, and their three children to a 1910 brick Edwardian in Piedmont, he described it as his “forever house.” (more…)